Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Joy of Family Traditions

The Annual Henderson Easter Egg Hunt began 30+ years ago and is still going strong today! I have very fond childhoood memories of this annual event, despite NEVER winning the cake! Let me explain...every year my Aunt Lynda makes a bunny cake(see pics below). The eggs are hidden all over the yard. Some with your name on them, others that are just up for grabs. One of the unlabeled eggs contains a note that says, "You won the cake!" Whoever finds the egg, gets the cake. So since I had never won the cake, Aunt Lynda made two of them several years ago and gave one to me! I am discouraged to report that the "Bunny Cake Curse" has been passed on to the next generation. My kids have yet to win the cake! I have 364 days to find a cure. Although we didn't come home with the coveted prize, who could be upset about Miss Marley winning? Isn't she a doll?

We ate our traditional favorites of ham, yummy potatoes, raspberry jello salad, Lynda's rolls and sugar cookies and even had a couple of surprise guest appearances. My nephew, Ryan, has been working in Yuma, AZ and got to come for the weekend.
Lindsay (my oldest brother), Heather & Ryan (his kids)

Also, my mom's brother, Denny, came from Denver, CO. Mom was the only one who knew he was coming so she was able to help surprise her sister, Kim. It was great to see him!
Mom, Denny & Kim

Everyone had a great time! We did miss my Grandma this year. She fell a couple of times last week and didn't feel up to coming. She is such a trooper! She will be 90 old this July. Thanx a million to Aunt Lynda for starting the tradition and to Mom for her help in keeping it alive! Here's to 30+ more years!!
Kort & Lukas playing ping-pong in Grandpa's "shop"

SCORE!!

My weird brother and darling niece

My cute kiddos!

Aunt Kim & Uncle Mack...always good for a laugh!

Keep looking Josh!

Samee (Ryan's) girlfriend and Lukas. Deep Easter thoughts by Lukas...what do bunnies and eggs have to do with each other?

The cutest bunny of all!!

No comments: